Jun 2, 2011

ESPN Questions Colt McCoy's Arm Strength for the 10,985,346th Time


I'm sure many of you follow ESPN.com's AFC North blogger, James Walker. I can't speak for the majority of Rockers (I'm coining that shit now for the 10-12 people that read our blog), but whenever I read Walker I feel like I'm reading a 13 year old analyzing football. There are hypothetical who-would-win-in-a-boxing-match posts, Dancing with the Stars updates, and ridiculous posts like did Mike Brown spill the beans by implying Andy Dalton would start for Cincy (news flash James: Andy Dalton was a second round pick, and they are usually brought in to make an impact).

Regardless, it has been a very slow offseason for football because of the lockout, and I understand Walker has to blog about something so I try to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, Walker wrote up a lengthy piece about Colt McCoy and cold weather that I tend to take issue with. I, for one, am sick and tired of Tony Grossi and the media bashing McCoy for his play in the cold weather. All you ever
hear about McCoy is lack of arm strength, yada yada yada. Listen, I'm not saying the kid is the second-coming of Bernie "Jesus Christ" Kosar. But the kid has played in 3 cold weather games in his career! Against Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Cincy! Do you ever stop and think, hmmm maybe these three awesome defensive coordinators finally got a look of McCoy, a rookie quarterback, on tape. It's natural for a rookie to experience a slump after defenses and opposing coaches get some tape on them.

I for one, was pleasantly surprised at how McCoy played in 2010. I didn't get to see much of the Baltimore game at the end of the year, at least I don't remember seeing too much of it, but that's what happens when we Cleveland fans try to drink ourselves out of depression. But that's neither here nor there.

The point is, give the kid a chance. He was incredibly successful in college, grows a fine mustache, and is taking a leadership role we haven't seen since the Brownies came back into town in '99. Oh yeah, one more note. Don't give me this bullshit about never playing in cold weather before. A couple of names never did so in thier college years either: Bernie Kosar, Brian Sipe, Vinny Testaverde. Just kidding, fuck Vinny Testaverde.

No comments:

Post a Comment