May 27, 2011

A Word About Jim Donovan


Many of you have probably already heard the news about Cleveland sportscaster Jim Donovan. Apparently back in 1999, Donovan was diagnosed with leukemia and has been undergoing treatment since that time. Donovan has just recently found a bone marrow donor to help with his ailment. Fromhere at ClevelandsRocks, we'd just like to say get well soon Jimmy D.

I know for me personally, when I think about Cleveland Browns football and the Cleveland sports scene itself, Jim Donovan is one of the first people that comes to my mind. As a guy in his early 20's, my earliest memories of Browns football are during the relocation era walking past the countdown clock in Tower City. I remember growing up around the post-relocation era Browns teams, with Jim Donovan as the liaison between the team and myself. I remember listening to Donovan calling a 2002 Browns-Jags game w
here Quincy Morgan catches a 51 yard hail mary to win the game. I remember "Run William Run" when Willie Green busted off a huge run against the Falcons in 2002 to put the Browns in position for their first (and last to this point) playoff appearance since retu
rning in 1999. I r

emember Donovan calling Joshua Cribbs' "Immaculate Deception" against the Steelers in 2007. Shit, I even remember Jimmy D calling James Davis' 81 yard touchdown run against the Lions in the 2009 preseason!


There are many times when I'd rather turn up the radio, mute the TV, and

have Jim Donovan call the game for me as I sit on the couch. The fact of the matter is, he's an unbelievable sportscaster, but more telling is that he's a great guy. I have

numerous family members who have worked in TV and radio in Cleveland over the years, and Jim Donovan is the one guy that they talk about the most. Quality sportscaster, quality guy, epitome of Cleveland. This one's for you, Jim. Get well soon.








No comments:

Post a Comment